RE: amplified speakers

From: Brian Ketterling (
Date: 2003-02-07 00:55:37

>From: Rainer Buchty <>
>To: "''" <>
>Subject: RE: amplified speakers
>Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 12:31:23 +0100 (CET)
> > Why, if I may ask? The capacitors don't improve anything and just add a
> > frequency-dependant resistor to the circuit.

There are all sorts of audio amps -- some have a DC bias on the input, and 
in some cases if you direct-couple the two inputs they can blow out.  That's 
why I was wondering about (DC blocking) capacitive coupling.  There are also 
amps that will blow out if you AC-couple the two inputs, which is why I 
asked about an active splitter.  I've never messed with PC speaker systems, 
other than to plug one into a PC sound card, and I was hoping someone with 
practical experience could advise me.  Hopefully, the amp isn't too cheap 
and is reasonably forgiving.

Realistically, in the audio range I don't think there'd be much roll-off if 
I used capacitors, particularly polypropylene ones, which are generally used 
only in high-end audio gear (mylar being used in cheaper equipment).

>If you make them slightly different you get somewhat a "widened" signal
>which sounds a bit more more like a true stereo signal as opposed to "mono
>coming from two speakers".

Or use a R-C or L-C filter on one channel?

Thanks to all!

-- Brian

STOP MORE SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE*

       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list

Archive generated by hypermail 2.1.6.