RE: Technical name for +4/C116 keyboard connector?

From: Clarke Rob (KVYD) <>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 16:37:28 +0100
Message-ID: <>
Thanks Anders, your links gave me a starting point and I think I now
have my answer. Molex is the name of the company, which I had always
associated with the power connectors on PC hard drives, but they also
made the receptacle on Spectrum motherboards for the same sort of cable.

It's known as FFC or Flat Flexible Cable. Digikey sell 18-way, 6 inch
cables, which can be bought teminated with solder tags with a 0.1" pitch
instead of stiffened with polycarbonate, but I'm sure they would work.
Now I know what to look for I'm sure I can find them for less than 7$
each though.

Thanks again - Rob

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Anders Carlsson
Sent: 09 January 2012 14:53
Subject: Re: Technical name for +4/C116 keyboard connector?

Rob Clarke wrote:

> Does anyone know the correct technical term for the keyboard connector

> used on Plus/4's and C116's?

Isn't it the same type of ribbon cable as found on ZX Spectrum and
plenty of other systems? Not that it helps you much in terms of naming
it, but you might get leads (no pun intended) on how to source new or
repair existing ones. However I've read it is awfully difficult to
repair the ZX ribbons.

RWAP Software calls the ZX-81 connectors Molex, but I think that is
rather is a brand name?

Apologies if I'm barking up the wrong tree here.

Anders Carlsson

       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list

       Message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list
Received on 2012-01-09 16:00:03

Archive generated by hypermail 2.2.0.