Re: C64 cry for help

From: Marko Mäkelä (
Date: 1998-12-03 22:36:17

Hello Michael,

Since I don't know the connections of the 1802 monitor, I'm forwarding
your question to the cbm-hackers mailing list, where somebody probably can
give you a detailed answer.

If you have the manuals of the monitor and of the C64 (you can find the
latter at <URL:>), look up the signals
If the DIN connector also has the middle contact, you could replace
composite video with LUMINANCE (black and white picture; this could be
called COMPOSITE SYNC on the monitor) and CHROMA (the colour signal). 

The type of the cable isn't so important; the video signal bandwidth is in
the order of 10-20 MHz.  I've used audio cable without problems.  The C64
itself distorts the video signal so much that the type of the cable isn't
significant.  I've seen very few C64s or C128s that produce a good picture
without any vertical bars or anything.


On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Michael Barnikel wrote:

> Hi Marko,
> reading that you done a lot of repair work on C64's, I wondered if you
> could help me with my problem:
> I have a C64, which I have always used with a regular TV as VDU and the
> "Datasette" tape recorder as storage device.  I recently acquired a
> second-hand Commodore 1802 colour monitor.  My problem is that I don't
> have the cable to connect computer to monitor.
> I have managed to buy the non-standard "Commodore / Atari" - type plug,
> and the cinch plugs for the monitor.  My problem is that I don't know
> how to wire them up, and what type of cable I have to use ... regular,
> coax, or anything more exotic?
> If you feel that you are knowledgeable in this matter I'd appreciate a
> reply.
> Greetings to Finland.
> Michael Barnikel <>

This message was sent through the cbm-hackers mailing list.
To unsubscribe: echo unsubscribe | mail

Archive generated by hypermail 2.1.1.